December 18th, 2013
The minute that you adopt a dog as a pet, that means that you should at all times take good care of it. There are various ways in which you could take care of your dog. These may range from feeding supplies, cleaning care products and general animal care.
Feeding supplies: Great concern should be given to the type of food that the dog will feed on. This is because dogs are just like humans. If you feed them with foods that lack the proper nutrients, then they may lack proper growth. In the event that you do not know which the recommended food supplies are, it is important to visit a pet shop immediately. They will describe to you the different types of foods that are available as well as their nutritional component.
Cleaning supplies: It goes without say that dogs also need proper cleaning. Therefore, while planning to clean the dog, you should ensure that you have the necessary cleaning equipment and tools as well as products. A tip while cleaning the dog would be to ensure that the cleaning products and supplies are safe to use on the dog.
General animal care: General animal care involves giving the dog attention as well as love. Without these two attributes, your dog may end up being secluded and unhappy. Or it may find these elements in another person and not you.
It is important to know that, animal negligence is punishable by the law in most countries. Therefore, to be on the right side of the rule of law, you should adequately take care of your dog. If you cannot do that, you might as well not adopt the dog or give it out to individuals who can be in a better position to take care of it on your behalf.
October 17th, 2013
Have you seen your dog digging and you simply didn’t understand why? Perhaps for some reasons, you don’t like the habit. Like any other living thing, dogs also have peculiar habits well known to them.
- Firstly, a dog will dig if it’s bored. It is a way of generating self entertainment. In the sandy areas, they tend to dig many random holes when trying to have fun.
- Secondly, dogs dig when they are anxious, or when they feel lonely and left out. This generally is experienced by lone dogs.
- They will also dig to find comfort, likewise to maintain a particular body temperature. When it is hot, they dig out soil to maintain their cool.
- They also do it to sleep in a level and comfortable state.
- More so, they also dig to hide valuable items. It really appears very funny when the dogs do this to secure their valuables! They bury food, chewed bones, and the list would go on and on. Dogs don’t eat all the food at once. If a dog is on the mission of hiding valuables, it digs a hole with its feet, places the item, and then buries it with its nose. Dogs bury their items literally on any convenient place. If it’s an indoors dog, it buries stuff in laundry and generally any other place it could find convenient. They are not stupid either! If the item is to be buried again, it’s usually in a different spot all together! A dog could also dig to hunt for prey, the likes of moles.
Generally, digging is a common habit for dogs. Some dig more than others. If you don’t like the habit, the best you could do is try and identify the reason behind the digging. This way, it will be easy to control it and contain the digging habit.
August 28th, 2013
Dogs are naturally vicious especially when provoked.
There are however two causes that can make a dog attack viciously. These are attacking for self defense and attacking to win and chase away. As a dog owner, the latter is what you yearn to see in practice in your guard dog, since if a guard dog can only attack in self defense, it’s worrying. Such a dog cannot get the initiative to attack an intruder; but a guard dog that is confident about its role will attack in any chance. Therefore, when looking to train a dog, adept dog trainers advise that you train your dog to attack not only in self defense but anytime after discerning danger. To get to this goal, it is imperative to have the following tips in hand.
- Get a reputable and a great training center for your dog; this ensures that the quality of training of your dog is trusted. The practice is termed as protection training. It is one of the vital tasks of every guard dog at home.
- Start training when puppies; an older dog takes much time to grasp things. A puppy is easily trained and it takes a shorter time to grasp attack tactics. Protection training for puppies start in earnest after 16 weeks soon after obedience training has been hammered home.
- Refrain threatening your dog; a dog meant for protection need to feel positively treated, with a lot of encouragement and attention. It has to feel the need to protect you since you are kind and feeds it well. Threatening your guard dog makes it jittery about you and may start rebellion.
- Acquire the most suitable breed for protection; most guard dog breeds are keen to the owner and knows how to connect with the owner. Trainable dogs for protection and to attack portray the characteristics of alertness, suspicious, strong and friendly to the members of the family.
June 5th, 2013
Taking care of your dog is very important in case you have one at home. Even if you are still in the planning stages of domesticating one at home, you should first take time to learn how to care for it. This will help you in offering the best life and treatment to the dog whenever you finally acquire one. Below are some of the basics on dog grooming that you should take note of.
Brushing your dog’s hair can help in maintaining the health of its coat. Besides, it is also one of the ways through which you can strengthen the bond between you and the dog. When brushing the dog’s hair, there are different kinds of brushes that you should use based on how the hair looks. Brushing should be done occasionally in order to keep the dogs looking good and healthy.
This is one of the grooming basics that most people often forget. By trimming the nails of your dog, you will be able to prevent it from destroying things in the home with the paws. Besides, it will also enable them to move around without problems. It is important that you learn how dogs nails should be trimmed to ensure that you do it right. You should also know the right tools to use in trimming dogs nails. In case you cannot do it on your own, it is appropriate that you take the doc to a vet fir nail trimming.
When you have a dog, it is ideal that you give it baths in order to keep it clean and healthy. Even though it is recommended that dogs should be bathed monthly, doing it at least once a week can do no harm. Most dogs do not find fun in bathing but you should be able to make them take it positively during training.
April 24th, 2013
For the physical wellbeing of your dog, digestive enzymes are extremely important. Unfortunately proceeded and cooked foods, have a depleted amount of enzymes and for this reason, it is essential for pet owners to get supplements. They offer numerous benefits to dogs and some of these are as highlighted below.
- They help strengthen the dogs immune system
- They stop coprophagia which refers to the tendency of eating stool.
- Helps decrease degenerative diseases like osteoarthritis and build up of toxins
- Increase production of T-cells.
- Promotes weight loss.
Do all Dogs need Enzymes
There are instances when it is deemed important to get enzyme supplements for dogs regardless of whether they are healthy or now. This is for the purpose of ensuring that optimal toxin elimination and digestion takes place. If your dog has better digestion, it will be less prone to gas, have fresh breath and pass firm stool. In addition to this, they will also have a shiny and healthier coat that is free from skin complications. Enzymes are the perfect supplement for the following categories of dogs.
- Dogs fed processed or cooked foods
- Those suffering different types of digestive disorders.
- Dogs under stress
- Senior dogs since they tend to produce fewer enzymes naturally and also suffer from a deficiency of zinc and this result to a low level of immunity.
- Dogs that have a weak immunity system as a result of medications like antibiotics.
- Those suffering from yeast systematic infections
Enzymes are extremely important for the purpose of treating different types of problems in dogs such as skin irritations, GI problems and stool eating. They are also essential for the purpose of treating arthritis and allergies. In order to ensure your dog benefits from these enzymes, it is advisable to add the same to the dog’s meals. More importantly, these can also help with the dog’s systematic well-being and metabolism.